Nature’s Miracle is a convenient self-cleaning litter box designed to service multiple cats. It was developed by Nature’s Miracle, a company launched by Spectrum Brands, one of the most rapidly growing and diversified global consumer products companies. Apart from Nature’s Miracle, Spectrum Brands also manages Tetra, Instant Ocean, Marineland, Dingo, Furminator, Healthy Hide, ProSense, Litter Made, Wild Harvest, Perfect Coat, eCOTRITION, Birdola, Digest-eeze, SmartBones, DreamBone, and many other brands.
Read the rest of our comprehensive Nature’s Miracle review to learn more about this litter box and whether or not it is the right fit for your feline friends.
Nature’s Miracle Components
Nature’s Miracle is one of the best self-cleaning litter boxes on the market. It comes with many useful features developed to minimize litter box cleaning and maintenance, it can serve multiple cats, and it has a reasonable price tag. In order to use it properly and ensure optimal effectiveness, it is important to first learn more about is parts, accessories, set-up, and more.
Let us start off this guide by listing all the parts of this innovative litter box. Its components include:
- ON/OFF button – Apart from turning the litter box on and off, you can also use the switch to activate the cleaning cycle mode.
- AC adapter outlet – The box is powered through the outlet.
- Battery compartment cover – Nature’s Miracle litter box requires eight AA batteries, which should only be used as backup during power outages.
- Safety bar – While in use, the safety bar positioned directly behind the rake will stop and reverse the raking action if your cat jumps behind it in the middle of the cleaning cycle.
- Removable rake – The rake can be taken out for easier cleaning.
- Litter tray – You should only use premium hard clumping litter.
- Motion sensors (both sides) – Motion sensors activate the cleaning cycle. You can also start the cycle manually by covering one of the sensors for about 10 seconds.
- Waste receptacle compartment cover – You can enable automatic cleaning by placing the waste receptacle underneath and attaching the receptacle lid to the compartment cover.
- Paw-cleaning ramp attachment posts (both sides) – This is used to attach the paw-cleaning ramp accessory.
- Litter tray latches (both sides) – The latches allow you to unlock the litter tray cover for maintenance.
- Top housing – This section houses the motor and other functioning parts of the litter box. It should be removed when thoroughly cleaning the device.
- Control panel – The control panel features a green power indicator light, red sleep indicator light, digital clock, HOUR button, MIN button, and SLEEP SET button.
Control Panel Overview
The green power indicator light will turn on when the unit is powered on. It also shows mode indications, including:
- No light – Standby mode;
- Constant light – Normal operation mode;
- Intermittent blinking (1 time every 2 seconds) – Cleaning mode;
- Slow blinking (1 time every second) – Low power mode; you should replace the batteries;
- Fast blinking (2 times every second) – The box has encountered a potential blockage and is currently in THE FAULT mode. The rake will cycle 5 times automatically to attempt to clear the blockage. If unsuccessful, the LED light will start blinking and the rake will return to its default position.
The red sleep indicator light will turn on when the sleep mode is activated and blink during sleep timer programming:
- No light – Sleep timer is not set to run;
- Constant light – Active sleep timer; sleep timer mode will run at a preset time;
- Blinking light (blinks once every second) – Sleep timer is currently in the programming mode; the light should turn off once you set the sleep timer;
- Blinking light (blinks once every 2 seconds) – Change tray indicator light; it is time to change the waste receptacle and refresh the litter. To reset, press ON/OFF and SET buttons simultaneously.
Note that if both lights are blinking, this usually indicates a switch malfunction.
Every Nature’s Miracle litter box comes with the following accessories:
- Scoop & rake cleaner – This convenient scoop is used to help you measure the letter level, clean the automatic rake, and maintain the litter on a daily level.
- 4 carbon filters – Carbon filters are there to help minimize unpleasant odors around the waste receptacle.
- 4 catch-all receptacles – These are heavy-gauge plastic waste containers with sealable lids that will also help you contain unpleasant odors and dispose of the used litter in the most effective and sanitary way.
Nature’s Miracle also offers additional accessories for purchase, including Cat Privacy Tents, Litter Box Carpets, and many other.
How To Set Up Nature’s Miracle
Nature’s Miracle litter box does not require any tools for a successful setup. Here are the steps involved in setting it up:
- Simply unpack all the parts and accessories and remove any stickers.
- Find a clean and dry location, preferably away from any moist environment or direct sunlight.
- Cut and remove the rake restraints and remove the packing material from the rake. As we already mentioned, the batteries should only be used as backup power and they are not included with the box. It is very important not to mix old and new batteries or alkaline and carbon-zinc batteries. You should not use rechargeable batteries (Li-ion, Ni-MH or Ni-Cad).
Preparing The Waste Receptacle
Waste receptacle preparation includes the following steps:
- Open the receptacle compartment cover.
- Place the disposable waste receptacle under the cover.
- Make sure that the front edge of the waste receptacle is positioned directly under the five tabs on the front edge of the tray. There should not be any gaps between the waste receptacle and the litter tray.
- Attach the waste receptacle lid by inserting the push tabs into their designated round holes. To secure it, press in and down at the indicated positions to slip the lid edges under the tabs on both sides of the waste receptacle compartment cover.
- Remove the carbon filter from its plastic sleeve. Peel off the paper slip in order to expose the adhesive. Place the adhesive face down in the designated diamond-shaped insert located in the center of the waste receptacle lid.
- Close the waste receptacle compartment cover.
Filling The Litter Tray
All you have to do here is fill the box so that the litter level stands between the MIN and MAX fill lines on either side of the box. You can use the scoop & rake cleaner to distribute the litter more evenly. It is very important not to overfill the unit since it can interfere with its functioning.
Nature’s Miracle system is designed to work exclusively with Nature’s Miracle Clumping Cat Litter, which includes both Nature’s Miracle Natural Pine and Nature’s Miracle Intense Defense. Never use non-clumping, pearl-like or crystal litters. Keep in mind that kittens under 6 months of age should not use clumping cat litter.
Attaching The Paw-Cleaning Ramp
The paw-cleaning ramp serves to remove any remaining litter off of your pets’ paws and prevent litter tracking in your home. Here’s how to set it up:
- The ramp itself has two notches that will snap onto the ramp attachment posts on top of the housing, directly in front of the waste receptacle compartment cover.
- Position the ramp with the carpet side facing up.
- Place the aforementioned notches over the attachment posts on both sides of the box.
- Give the ramp a slight tug to make sure it is firmly in place.
How Nature’s Miracle Works
Although it might seem complicated at first, Nature’s Miracle self-cleaning litter box is very easy to use once you familiarize yourself with all of its features.
After plugging the AC adapter into a standard electrical outlet, simply turn the ON/OFF switch to ON. The mode indicator light should turn on at this point. Note that the rake will run through the cleaning cycle automatically to smooth out the litter, so you should not be alarmed by this.
Once your cat is out of the litter box, the motion sensors will automatically activate the cleaning cycle. As we already mentioned in this Nature’s Miracle review, the sensors have to be blocked for at least 10 seconds for the cleaning cycle to activate automatically. The unit will never start the cleaning cycle while your cat is still in the box.
After 20 minutes, the cleaning cycle will start and the auto rake will start moving forward and back in order to scoop the waste clumps into the receptacle. If your cat re-enters and leaves the box before the initial 20 minutes have expired, the timer will reset automatically and delay the rake action for another 20 minutes. If the safety bar touches anything behind the rake during the cycle, it will automatically stop and reverse direction.
If the rake leaves smaller litter particles in the litter tray after the cycle, you can always use the provided scoop & rake cleaner to transfer them to the waste receptacle. If clumps start sticking to the rake, you can use the teeth on the cleaner to effortlessly clean between the rake teeth.
The disposable waste receptacle is designed to keep the waste (and odors) trapped. Once it is full, simply remove and replace it.
Setting The Clock
When you turn Nature’s Miracle litter box on for the first time, the display will show 12:00 until you set the clock. Note that the box will operate normally even if you do not set the clock. The clock is set by pressing the HOUR button and then the MIN button.
Programming The Sleep Timer
The sleep mode will deactivate the rake cycle for the next 9 hours. After that time has passed, the rake will perform one automatic cleaning cycle before resuming normal operation. The 9-hour sleep mode and the 15-hour operational mode will repeat each day at the set time.
To program the sleep timer, you need to:
- Set the clock following the instructions above.
- Press the SLEEP SET key on the control panel to start programming. The red SLEEP indicator light should start blinking at this point.
- Press the HOUR and MIN keys to set the beginning of the sleep mode.
- The sleep mode time will be accepted automatically if you do not press any buttons for 3 seconds or more. The red SLEEP indicator light will stop blinking.
- To activate the sleep timer, simply press and hold the SLEEP SET key for 3 seconds. The red SLEEP indicator light will turn on and stay on, which indicates your sleep timer is active.
- To deactivate the timer, just hold the SLEEP SET key until the red SLEEP indicator light turns off (3 seconds).
Cleaning & Maintenance
Nature’s Miracle litter box is designed to reduce daily maintenance, so all you will have to do is replace the waste receptacle and clean it once a week. The company also recommends thorough cleaning once per month.
Removing The Waste Receptacle
You should avoid any contact with the waste material during this operation. It is recommended to wear latex or rubber gloves when handling the waste receptacle, especially if you are pregnant or suffer from immunodeficiency. To remove the waste receptacle:
- Press and push on the tabs of the lid to detach the receptacle from its compartment cover.
- Lift the compartment cover. The lid on the waste receptacle should already be detached and closed at this point.
- Make sure the waste receptacle lid is secure by pressing all of its four corners.
- Pull the edge of the waste receptacle away from the tabs that hold it in place.
- Lift and dispose.
- Place a new receptacle inside the slot, following the instructions above.
Once a week, you should clean the paw-cleaning ramp, motion sensors, and top housing.
Here’s how to clean the ramp:
- Detach it from the unit by holding it on both sides and lifting it gently.
- Hold it over the litter box in order to avoid litter scattering.
- Grab the carpet on one side and remove it by lifting up.
- Shake the mat to get rid of any remaining litter particles.
- Make sure to empty the carpet holder because litter will remain trapped under the carpet otherwise.
- Replace the carpet by sliding its corners under the holder points and make sure the back tab of the ramp is holding it in place.
The motion sensors are located on the inside walls of the box, so they should be kept dust-free at all times to ensure proper functioning.
Gently wipe the sensors with a soft dry towel or cloth to remove any dust build-up. You can use the same cloth to clean the exterior surfaces of the top housing as well.
Every month, you should clean Nature’s Miracle litter box thoroughly, which includes removing and cleaning the rake. Here’s what you should do:
- To remove the rake, press the ON/OFF key and hold it for 5 seconds.
- After releasing the button, the MODE indicator light should start blinking. At this point, the rake will start moving forward and stop at the very front of the box.
- Press both buttons on the safety bar simultaneously to release the rake and pull it out. Note that you should never operate the device without the rake in place.
- Wash the rake with warm water, mild detergent, and a soft cloth. Never use abrasive and harsh chemicals or scouring pads and make sure to dry it thoroughly before putting it back.
- Once you are done cleaning it, align the two indentations with the buttons on the safety bar.
- Push the rake into it until it snaps into place.
- Press the ON/OFF key. The MODE indicator light should stop blinking and the rake will return to its home position 5 minutes after activating the new cleaning cycle.
Litter tray cleaning is also recommended once a month, so you will not have to clean it every time you refill the litter. Here’s what you should do:
- Make certain the rake is in the home position.
- Turn off the device, unplug it, and remove the batteries in order to prevent accidental activation.
- Lift the latches on both sides.
- Move the top housing off and away from the tray. Never lift the top housing by the latches.
- After disposing of the used litter in the tray, you can wipe it with a damp cloth. If this does not clean it completely, you can also fully immerse it in water and wash it with a mild detergent.
- Wipe the housing with a clean cloth and also pay attention to the rake track rails. If there is any litter caked on them, use a damp soft cloth to clean it. Keeping the tracks clean is essential for the rake to function properly. Never immerse or soak the top housing in water.
- Make sure the litter tray is completely dry before reassembling. You can also prevent litter clumps from adhering to the surface of the litter tray by spraying it with silicone spray or nonstick cooking spray and wiping it with a soft dry cloth.
- Place the tray on the surface and carefully lower the top housing onto it.
- Press the lower parts of both latches firmly to lock them into place. Press until you hear a click.
As stated above in this Nature’s Miracle review, batteries should be used only as a backup, never as the main source of power.
Having said that, here’s how to replace the batteries:
- Make sure the device is off and unplugged from the electrical socket before replacing the batteries.
- Slide the cover off the housing by pressing it back with your thumb.
- Replace the batteries and slide the cover back into place. The battery compartment cover should snap into place both at the back and top notches.
Nature’s Miracle Design & Dimensions
When it comes to design, Nature’s Miracle literally looks like a spaceship for cats. It is beyond modern, featuring smooth and sleek lines, which allows it to fit into any room and complement the rest of your furniture.
The high sides will allow your cat to monitor its surroundings at all times while preventing litter scattering and urine oversprays.
Nature’s Miracle only comes in black and white, which gives it an extra dose of elegance and sophistication. Unfortunately, you will not be able to play around with different color combinations.
One of the potential design flaws is that your children and other pets (primarily dogs) can easily access the contents of the box before the rake goes through its automatic cleaning cycle and secures the dangerous waste inside its designated receptacle. Additionally, your cat can walk over the ON/OFF button and accidentally turn off the device.
Nature’s Miracle litter box dimensions are:
- 28.1″ in length
- 17.6″ in width
- 10.1″ in height
- The litter area measures 14” x 14”
As you can see, Nature’s Miracle is primarily designed with smaller and medium cats in mind, so it will not be an ideal solution for larger cats.
Nature’s Miracle Highlights
Nature’s Miracle litter box was envisioned as a helping hand in your efforts to keep your home as clean as possible and save a ton of time along the way. Here are some other advantages of using this system:
Easy To Set Up
Although it might seem complicated at first, Nature’s Miracle is very easy to use. Just follow the instruction manual closely and you will be good to go in a couple of minutes.
Automatic Cleaning & Scooping
The automatic rake will initiate the cleaning cycle on its own, so you will not have to monitor the litter box or even think about it if you are away from home.
Anti-odor waste receptacles paired with replaceable carbon filter will minimize any unpleasant odors in your home.
Nature’s Miracle will eliminate any microorganisms that could potentially endanger the health of your family.
You can set the 9-hour sleep cycle so your litter box does not make noise during the night.
Nature’s Miracle litter box can also use 8 AA batteries as a backup power source.
The automatic rake will never hurt your pets thanks to the smart motion-activated sensors on each side of the litter area. If the rake encounters any type of obstacle, it will immediately change direction.
The box comes with a limited 1-year warranty for all defects in materials and workmanship.
Considering the utility offered, Nature’s Miracle litter box comes with a quite reasonable price tag.
Is Nature’s Miracle Right For My Cat(s)?
As we already mentioned in this Nature’s Miracle review, this litter box is not ideal for larger cats due to its size. If larger cats use it, litter tracking and oversprays may happen.
Apart from this, Nature’s Miracle litter box is perfectly safe and comfortable for your furry friends.
Is Nature’s Miracle Safe For My Cat(s)?
As with all self-cleaning litter boxes, we have to go over the safety protocols implemented to protect your pets from any potential harm. The only thing that causes concern when it comes to Nature’s Miracle is its automated rake designed to clean the litter of any existing clumps and align it properly after each refill.
The rake will never activate while your cat is in the box thanks to the motion-activated sensors located on the side walls. Additionally, the moment the rake hits any obstacle, it will change its direction and start moving away from it.
Nature’s Miracle Training Tips
Our feline pets can get rather finicky and territorial when it comes to their litter boxes. Introducing Nature’s Miracle into their environment should be done slowly in order to give them enough time to acclimate to the new box. Here are some helpful tips that will make your pet forget all about his or her old box:
- Place Nature’s Miracle next to the old litter box and set it to run automatically.
- Stop cleaning your previous litter box.
- If your cat seems scared or timid around Nature’s Miracle, turn it off for a couple of days so it does not run automatically.
- Activate the box two or three times each day to allow your pets to get used to it before switching to automatic cleaning.
- As soon as your cat starts feeling comfortable, set the box to start cleaning automatically.
- At this point, you can remove your old litter box.
Cost & Returns
Nature’s Miracle litter box costs $145.95 plus shipping fees, which are determined based on your location. Gift-wrap is also available. The packaging may vary, so the cardboard box may not look exactly the same as the one you saw online. Nature’s Miracle litter box comes with a limited 1-year warranty for any defects in material or craftsmanship. The company’s liability, however, cannot exceed the original purchase price of the product.
Note that the warranty only applies if the box was used as directed and if it was purchased in the US or Canada. You can complete the company’s online Warranty Registration form or call its toll-free number 1-866-710-7979 for a replacement product that is either new or factory refurbished.
The warranty does not cover damage from commercial use, misuse, abuse, and neglect. It will also be void if the product has been modified in any way and used or serviced outside the country of purchase. The warranty does not apply to the glass parts and other accessories, shipping and handling fees associated with the replacement, and incidental or consequential damages.
Does Nature’s Miracle Live Up To Expectations?
Users who bought Nature’s Miracle litter box loved how the product minimized litter cleaning and maintenance. While the automatic rake collects all the large pieces of clumped litter, it will probably miss some of the smaller parts, so some manual collection is required, as stressed by online reviewers.
There were no complaints regarding odor control, so the 3-in-1 system designed to ward off unpleasant smells is functioning as intended.
As pointed out in many user reviews, some of the litter will inevitably end up on the floor around the box, either from the raking cycle or simply falling off from your pets’ paws. Users managed to deal with this minor problem in a couple of ways, ranging from placing a mat underneath the box to literally building an enclosure for the device.
When it comes to acclimation, none of the users had any real problems with getting their pets to switch from their old litter boxes to Nature’s Miracle. It took some cats a bit more time to start feeling comfortable around it, but they got there eventually.
It is also important to note that users complained about the rake getting stuck often and failing to reach the very bottom of the litter tray.